Categories

Backpacking (10) Gear (10) Camping (8) How to (2) Locations (2) Clothing (1) Food (1)

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki with Rice

Fail!

Mountain House makes the best freeze-dried, just-add-water backpacker food I've consumed to date but the Chicken Teriyaki with Rice fails. Here's why:

Contenders:
Maybe I spent too many years consuming military MREs but I actually enjoy most of the modern freeze-dried meals. I mostly use Backpacker's Pantry or Mountain House but am finding I can make my own backpacker food quite readily (more on that later).

Got Specs:
Servings    2.5
Weight       141 grams (5 oz)


What Wins:
  1. Easy! 16oz of boiling water, 9 minutes and done.
  2. No dishes! I eat right out of the bag. I hate doing dishes at home! Just imagine how much I hate doing them on the trail.
  3. Quantity! This package advertises 2.5 serving. I find it will feed 2 hungry adults hikers quite readily especially if combined with some a side dish of fruit or trail mix.
What Fails:
  1. Taste! The Chicken Teriyaki with Rice failed the test test of everyone in the party. Even the kids in the group called it "Too sweet".

 Other notes:
  1. Be sure to remove the oxygen-absorbing packet from the inside before adding water!
  2. Stir very thoroughly as soon as you add water and when complete! Shake occasionally while "cooking".
  3. If you intend to eat out of the package like I do ensure you have an extra long spork lest your hands get covered in bug-attracting teriyaki.

No comments:

Post a Comment