Categories

Backpacking (10) Gear (10) Camping (8) How to (2) Locations (2) Clothing (1) Food (1)

Sunday, December 30, 2012

TOAKS Titanium 750ml Pot

Winner!     

I'm completely satisfied and would highly recommend the TOAKS mug/pot (although I wish they kept the long cover) and feel it is an improvement over previous distributors.

I'm quite sure TOAKS doesn't manufacture these items. LightHound carried these slick Ti bits for a while under the Tibetan Ti label. Then BackCountry.com  carried it as a 700ml pot branded with their logo for many years. Now TOAKS says it is a 750ml pot even though it's the same size. 

Contenders:
I really liked the idea of the Snow Peak Mini Solo so I could nest both my pot and cup with my Nalgene but it cost quite a bit more. I own the GSI Glacier and found it is too small (18oz), much heavier (5.2oz) and doesn't come with a lid. The GSI is much cheaper and made of steel.

Got Specs:
Weight       141 grams (3.9 oz)
Diameter    3 3/4 inches
Height        4 3/8 inches
Capacity     750ml (25oz) or is it 700ml? 

What Wins:
  1. Ti! Titanium is God's metal. This means it is light and strong.
  2. Fit & Finish! TOAKS (or their manufacturer) has made their Ti 750ml pot better than previous distributors. This mug/pot was always great for nesting nicely my Nalgene bottle inside but the lid never fit quite right. This time the lid is spot on! The overall quality control - subtle but distinct differences which are hard to put your finger on - seems much higher. (Notice the fit of the lid in the pic.)
  3. Nesting! My Nalgene fits perfectly.

What Fails:
  1. Carrying Case! The BackCountry.com version came with a longer carry case which had an internal pocket for an included Ti spork which would hold the pot/mug as well as the Nalgene (See pic). I really like the idea of a self-contained food/water kit so for the TOAKS model I purchased a Condor H2O pouch which nicely holds holds the TOAKS mug (lid on the bottom or top) along with the Vargo Ti Triad stove in the pocket. I can now carry everything I need for a day hike with a hot lunch/coffee. But this option is much heavier!

Meh:
  1. I'll likely throw away the small carrying case as it won't hold my Nalgene anyway.
Other notes:
  1. It's slightly larger in diameter (maybe .5 mm) than the GSI Glacier stainless cup/pot.
  2. Upon request I've updated this review with a pic comparing the TOAKS with the GSI.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment