Categories

Backpacking (10) Gear (10) Camping (8) How to (2) Locations (2) Clothing (1) Food (1)

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Spork shootout

Shootout!
 
Jason Klass of Gear Talk claims "there is no such thing as having too many sporks". I'll need to dedicate an entire kitchen drawer to sporks at this rate... Why am I enamored with finding the perfect spork? I don't know. I have the same issue with flashlights. I have three favorite sporks which I alternate between depending on need.
Because there are so many contenders I am going to comment what Wins & Fails on each.

Contenders:
From left to right:
  1. CRKT's Eat N Tool
    • Wins: Ultra compact, strong, multitool functions
    • Fails: Too short to be useful unless eating from a plate, heavy (1.6oz)
  2. Snow Peak's Ti Short Spork
    • Wins: Super compact, light (0.5oz), Ti,
    • Fails:  Too short to be useful unless eating from a plate or very shallow bowl
  3. Light My Fire's Spork
    • Wins: Amazingly light (0.36oz), usable fork, perfect spoon
    • Fails: a bit short for eating from a bag, worthless 'knife' can scratch side of mouth 
  4. BackCountry.com's Ti spork
    • Wins: Real home-utensil size and feel, light (0.6oz), Ti
    • Fails: limited availability  
  5. GSI's Telescoping Foon (yes, that's what they call it)
    • Wins: Almost nothing except weight (0.3oz)
    • Fails: This Foon fails in every category and at life 
  6. MSR Spork
    • Wins: Light (0.5oz), long, compact, perfect for pouch eating!
    • Fails: Questionable durability (although I've never had an issue)
  7.  Sea to Summit Alpha Utensil Set
    • Wins: 200 grit Ti surface will exfoliate your lips as you eat
    • Fails: Expensive, heavy (1.3oz), I gave mine away to someone I don't like
  8.  Light My Fire's Ti Spork (pictured below)
    • Wins: LMF's unique design in Ti with polished ends, I can use it to kill a bear if I have to  :-J
    • Fails: Still just a tad short for pouch eating, heavier than the original plastic version (0.6oz - but still light)

Winners:
  1. The LMF (#3 above) is my ultralight GoTo spork for travel and camping.
  2. The FMF in Ti (#8 above) I keep in case I need to do battle at the dinner table. I'm also more comfortable using it in a hot skillet over a fire than the plastic version (although I've never had one melt). Finally, I burn alcohol directly from here to use as a priming pan for my Vargo Triad stove.
  3. I now carry the MSR (#6 above) for most backpacking trips where I know I'll eat out of a pouch the entire time.

Other notes:
  1. I'd really like to try out the GSI Kung Foon! Could it be a best of both worlds? Ti strength, small enough to fit in my pouch yet extendable to get to the bottom of a two-person food pouch. I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment